- › Application Requirements
Free (Create your manga under your favorite theme)
Original, unpublished work of your own
(Works posted in noncommercial media, including coterie magazines, SNS sites, and image posting sites, are considered unpublished works.)
None (professional and amateur)
From Saturday, July 1, 2017, to 2:00 PM (Japan Standard Time) on Saturday, September 30, 2017.
- General Division
- Grand Prize (Grand Prix) 500,000 yen
- Overseas Participant Award 300,000 yen (Selected from submissions from abroad.)
- Manga Museum Award 200,000 yen
- asianbeat Fukuoka, Japan Award
Round-trip air ticket to and from Fukuoka Selected from submissions in any asianbeat-designated language (Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, Thai, Vietnamese, or Indonesian)
- TOKIWA Creator Award: Providing work support under a project to integrate creators in Kitakyushu.
- Junior Division
- Junior Award LCD tablet for drawing use
- Initial screening
- The organizer will conduct an initial screening.
- Final screening
- The judges will conduct the final screening of works passing the initial screening.
- 【Chief Judge】Leiji Matsumoto
＜Manga artist/Honorary Director of the Kitakyushu Manga Museum＞
- Tochi Ueyama＜Manga artist＞
- Mutsumi Hagiiwa＜Manga artist＞
- Yuma Komatsu
＜Editorial Department at Kodansha’s Weekly Morning＞
Awarded works will be announced on the official website of Kitakyushu International Manga Competition
(kitakyushu-mangataisho.com) and the official website of the Kitakyushu Manga Museum
(www.ktqmm.jp) early in December 2017.
Furthermore, winning entries will be posted in the Nishinippon Shimbun, a Japanese language daily newspaper.
An awards ceremony will be held late in January 2018.
All applications will be accepted on the internet.
Fill out the application form and upload the data file of each work.
- Each work must be a four-panel manga strip.
Each four-panel manga must consist of a single page, but each panel can be in any shape, size, and arrangement. Each applicant can submit up to five works. Each work must be comprised of four panels. Each work must be completed in four panels. (You may use the same character and world view in all your works.)
- Create and save each work in accordance with the following data format guidance.
Number of pixels: Around 3,000 px × 4,500 px
Image format: JPEG format (in RGB or grayscale)
*No works in CMYK format or 2-gradation (monochrome) will be accepted.
- Works in color or monochrome and any language are acceptable.
- Input your nationality and other necessary items into the form at the time of posting.
- Works contrary to the purpose of the contest may not be accepted, e.g., those containing expressions
promoting violence, slander, discrimination, obscenity, or offensive to others.
- Entries must not infringe on the copyrights, portrait rights, or other rights of third parties.
The City of Kitakyushu as the organizer will own the copyrights of all entries.
All applicants will be deemed to have agreed to the terms of this contest upon submission of their works
to the contest.
Personal information on all applicants will be handled properly in compliance with the Act on the Protection of Personal
Information and no personal information on any applicants will be used for purposes other
than the Kitakyushu International Manga Competition.